• Saturday 10 July 2021 at 18:00
    Pitton Social Club is holding a drinks and fork supper party on 10th July to celebrate the end of Lockdown. This will be in the Village Hall field at 6:00 pm. More details to follow. Please...
  • Saturday 07 August 2021 at 00:00
    Carnival Murder Mystery and cold supper in the village hall. Bar available. This event will be for village residents and their guests only. More details to follow.  
  • Sunday 22 August 2021 at 14:30
    Carnival picnic in the village hall field. Note that this event is for Pitton village residents and their guests only. Start at 2:30pm, music from Sticky Toffee Jazz from 4:30pm, bar for the...

Music in Farley – Fauré Requiem

Date/Time
Saturday 08 November 2014 at 19:30

Friant Toussaint

 

The Requiem, op.48, by Gabriel Fauré, with Sophie Gallagher, soprano and Philip Lawson, baritone and The Farley Chorale directed by Simon McEnery.

Fauré Violin Sonata No 1 opus 13 in A major, played by Bill Benham and accompanied by Tim Hone on the piano and organ.

Tickets are available for just £10 each from the Salisbury Playhouse Box Office, telephone 01722 320333 or online.

Gabriel Fauré composed his Requiem in D minor, Op. 48, between 1887 and 1890. A short requiem lasting 35 minutes, it is written for orchestra, organ, mixed chorus and two soloists, soprano and baritone, and performed in Latin. It consists of seven movements; most famous is the central soprano aria Pie Jesu.

The piece premiered in its first version in 1888 in La Madeleine, Paris.

Sophie Gallagher is studying at the Royal College of Music with Amanda Roocroft and Stephen Sophie GallagherRoberts. Before this, she spent a year as a choral scholar at King’s College London whilst studying French and Italian. Having had a firm foundation in music as head chorister at first Salisbury then Wells Cathedrals, she now hopes to pursue a solo career after college. Sophie has made two solo broadcasts on BBC Radio 3 and has toured as a recitalist in Hong Kong and Milan. Recent solo work has included ‘Der Engel’ in Schütz’s Christmas Oratorio at St John Smith’s Square, Handel’s Messiah, and Mozart’s C Minor Mass at The Duke’s Hall Royal Academy of Music. She has also recently sung with The Hilliard Ensemble for the Cambridge Early Music Festival, participated in workshops for British Youth Opera, and taken a solo role in Noye’s Fludde at Glastonbury’s Orchestra in a Field festival directed by Charles Hazelwood.

Philip LawsonHaving worked in London as a freelance baritone, performing regularly with The BBC Singers, The Taverner Choir, The Sixteen and the choirs of St. Paul’s Cathedral and Westminster Abbey, Philip Lawson was for 11 years a Lay Clerk in the choir of Salisbury Cathedral. He joined The King’s Singers in January 1994, replacing founder-member Simon Carrington. In 18 years singing with the group he performed more than 2,000 concerts, co-presented over 300 workshops and appeared on 25 CDs, several DVDs and numerous radio and television programmes. After the departure of Bob Chilcott in 1987 he was also the group’s principal arranger, contributing over 50 arrangements to the repertoire, including 10 for the 2008 album “Simple Gifts”, which went on to win the 2009 GRAMMY award for Best Classical Crossover Album. In January 2012 Philip retired from The King’s Singers to pursue his growing arranger/composer/teacher career. He now has a writing and consultancy deal with Hal Leonard Corporation, and is already busy on the workshop circuit, with visits to Germany, Italy, the USA, Spain and Belgium in 2012, and Poland, Italy, the USA, Germany and the UK in 2013. Philip also directs several choirs in Salisbury, the city where he still lives with his wife and their 3 daughters, and teaches singing at the renowned Wells Cathedral specialist music school.

Timothy Hone was Organ Scholar at Peterhouse, Cambridge 1976-80, where he read Tim_HoneMusic for both parts of the Tripos and for the degree of MusB. He was appointed Sub-Organist at Leeds Parish Church in 1980, moving to a similar post at Coventry Cathedral in 1982. In 1987 Timothy was appointed Director of Music at Newcastle Cathedral. His interest in the interface between liturgy and music led to post-graduate study for an MA in Liturgy and Music at University of Leeds, which he was awarded with Distinction in 2001. In 2002 Timothy moved to the Department of Liturgy and Music at Salisbury Cathedral. He is currently also the Director of Music at St Martin’s, Salisbury.

Bill Benham studied the violin with John Sealey at Winchester and then Jean Pougnet of Grand Hotel fame.  At the age of 19 he started lessons with Homi Kanga and the following year he joined the Bath Festival Orchestra.  Two years later he started five years as a first violin in the London Symphony Orchestra where he played under many of the world’s top conductors and with many top soloists.

At the age of 27 he joined the Northern Sinfonia as co-leader.  While in Newcastle, he led the Gagliano Quartet. Two years later he returned to London where he worked as a freelance session musician.  He played with the Nash ensemble and played the Bach C minor Double concerto with Janet Craxton.  He also qualified as a teacher of Alexander Technique in 1979.
In his forties he took lessons from Alfredo Campoli and gave a number of recitals with Nadia Lasserson, notably at the Guildford and Arundel International Festivals. He performed a number of concertos with various orchestras, including, notably, the Tchaikovsky and Elgar Concertos. He took up the viola in 1990 since he retired from the London scene, he has given a number of recitals in the Salisbury area. He has recently become the leader of the Farley Quartet, which is now called the Wiltshire Quartet.
He now lives in Steeple Langford and has developed an adjustable violin chin rest, – the ‘Ergonomic Chin Rest’ (see www.adjustablechinrests.co.uk), which is specially suitable for long -necked players like himself!

Music in Farley

All Saints’ Church, Farley, Salisbury SP5 1AH

For further details contact friends@farleymusic.co.uk

 

 

Location
All Saints' Church